This Faux Wood Burned Sign and Coasters Tutorial is SO easy, and no one will know it’s painted! It works great with vinyl stencils and such easy cleanup!
It’s another month of Fresh Cut SVG Bundle goodness and you’re going to love this new set! Since it’s camping theme, the first thing that came to mind was s’mores. I thought this S’more What Faux Wood Burned Sign with matching coasters would be the perfect rustic decor for campers and s’more lovers!
The rest of the bundle has some adorable rustic SVG Files for the happy or not-so-happy camper. I’m always amazed at the talent of these ladies!
This method is similar to my hand-lettered wood sign, but the painting technique is slightly different. If you want something a little less rustic, definitely check that out!
What You’ll Need to make this Faux Wood Burned Sign
- S’more What SVG file from the FreshCut Bundle
- Walnut Hollow Large Wood Plank or basswood coasters
- Cutting machine like the Cricut Maker or Cricut Explore Air 2 (read more about the Maker here)
- Basic Vinyl
- Weed Tool
- Transfer Tape
- Scraper Tool
- Black Acrylic Paint (I love Coal from target – it has a little sparkle that makes the burned look more realistic)
- Brown Acrylic Paint
- Paint brushes (the older and more scraggly, the better)
- First, brush off any dust from the Wood Plank with a dry rag.
- Upload the S’more What SVG file from the FreshCut Bundle and resize it, so it fits on the plank. Tip: Learn how to upload SVG Files to Cricut Design Space.
- Cut it out on Basic Vinyl and Weed the design as I did in the image above.
- Apply Transfer Tape to the top of the design, then carefully remove the backing of the vinyl. Make sure all the dots stay in place.
- Place the design in the center of the Wood Plank and smooth it out with a Scraper Tool.
- SLOWLY and carefully peel off the transfer tape. You may need to use the scraper tool to keep the vinyl down while you peel off the tape.
- After you remove the transfer tape, dab the Black Acrylic Paint around the edges of the design. Don’t worry about filling it all in. The more rustic, the better.
- While the black paint is still wet, fill in the rest of the design with and blend it around the black edges. Tip: You’ll get a more realistic branded look if you keep the outer edges dark black, and the inside of the design light brown. Look at the cheeks on the s’more as an example.
- Peel the vinyl off the board and let dry.
I will admit, camping is not my favorite. I went camping this summer with the kids for the first time ever (totally not my idea), and I actually did have a lot of fun exploring Arizona…but give me a hotel and indoor plumping any day! However, I’ll use any excuse to make some s’mores by the fire. It is the ONLY way to have that yummy treat.
I think these faux wood burned signs would look amazing with any of the graphics from this month’s bundle. Another great thing about this is you don’t have to worry about being a perfectionist…because the imperfections make this much more realistic.
While the bundles go away after a few weeks, my SVG Files from past projects are still available to purchase individually. SOOOO many possibilities when you use your Cricut and a little vinyl 🙂
If you liked this, check out my other Fresh Cut SVG Bundles Project Ideas:
- DIY Mermaid Confetti Cricut Tutorial – DIY Confetti is so fun to make and easy, too with my Mermaid SVG Files.
- Cricut Vinyl Spring Place Setting – These place settings are so cute using the Spring Animal SVG Files.
- Adorable Gold Foil Unicorn Gift Bags – These Unicorn SVG Files are a best seller in my shop…they’re the cutest!
- DIY Unicorn Confetti – All you’ll need is my Unicorn SVG Files and some Cricut Party Foil for this fun project.
- Christmas Coasters – I’ve also included a tutorial for contouring the Stag and Poinsettia SVG File.
- DIY Christmas Card – Another fun project using my Stag and Poinsettia SVG File.
- DIY Fall Wreath Tutorial – You’ll need the 3D Roses SVG File to complete this gorgeous wreath.
- DIY Mini Halloween Luminaries – This Sugar Skull SVG File makes some REALLY beautiful luminaries. SO incredibly easy.