These DIY Mini Halloween Luminaries are perfect for you spooky decor. Customize the luminary file with any Halloween graphic you’d like!
It’s September and that means I can start posting about HALLOWEEN! YAY!! Bring on all the pumpkins and sugar skulls! If you want an idea of how much I love Halloween, right now I have a skeleton sitting at my kitchen table (don’t worry, it’s from Target). My kids weren’t even phased by it. Anyway…I think you’ll really love this super simple Halloween Luminaries tutorial. It’s ridiculously easy to make with my Sugar Skull SVG File that’s included in this months FRESH Cuts SVG Bundle, but you can definitely use this technique with other SVG Files.
What you’ll need to create these Halloween Luminaries:
- Cricut Project with Luminary graphic (click the link to open it)
- Sugar Skull SVG File from the FRESH Cuts SVG Bundle–>only available during September, then the bundle is gone!
- Cricut Maker or Cricut Explore Air
- Cricut Design Space – if you haven’t already tried the new program, go HERE and HERE to get all the details. If you are on the old program, try this tutorial.
- Scoring Stylus
- Cricut Cardstock Sampler
- Glue stick
- Battery Operated Tea Light <–I got these exact ones and they’re SO cool! They flicker like a real candle…and for the love, do NOT use a real candle in these!
- First, open up the Luminary graphic in Cricut Design Space.
- Upload the Sugar Skull SVG File to your project and resize it to about 3.25″ high, then move it to the larger part of the luminary graphic, in between two of the score lines. (see video for clarification). Learn how to upload SVG files to Cricut Design Space.
- Align the sugar skull to the center of the two score lines.
- Select the luminary graphic and sugar skull, then click on WELD.
- Select all the graphics and click on ATTACH, then copy and paste it so you have two to a page.
- Select MAKE IT (in the top right corner), then make sure everything is where it’s supposed to be, then click Continue. Tip: If the files are shown cutting on two separate mats, you can move them to the same mat by clicking on the three dots in the corner of the graphic.
- Select Light Cardstock in the materials menu, then load the mat and cut. Make sure you have the Scoring Stylus in clamp A. The Cricut will automatically change from scoring to cutting.
- Once it’s cut out, fold along the score lines, then glue the small flap to the inside of the back of the lantern.
- Turn on the Tea Light and place the lantern over it.
I’m so excited to display these for Halloween…the look amazing in the dark. Pretty sure I’m going to have to try them with different graphics from the September FRESH Cuts SVG bundle. Aren’t all those designs so fun?? Make sure you get them like NOW because the bundle is only available for the month of September. After that, some may be available individually, but for a higher price.
Get this spooky bundle of TEN Halloween cut files before they’re gone for good! This limited edition bundle is only available for the month of September for a fraction of its retail value! Cut files are designed to be used with Cricut, Silhouette, and other compatible cutting machines and software that use SVG files. Please note that the files contain intricate details, so for best results, use a new blade and clean cutting mat. Items are not for commercial use (see listing for more details).
Check out all the designers that contributed to this bundle: