Did you know you can create a Cricut Print and Cut Project from SVG files? See how I made these cute American Girl Printable cupcake toppers and paper dolls using this method!
This post is sponsored by Cricut. All opinions are 100% my own.
When I went to the Cricut Maker event, they had some really cute items made with the maker, and my favorite was the cute American Girl projects by American Girl Ideas. I’m not skilled at creating little furniture or sewing outfits, but I can do printables! SO, for this week’s Cricut Tutorial, I made these cute American Girl Printable cupcake toppers…and the best part? You can customize the hair, skin, and eye color…even the outfits in Cricut Design Space. I’ll also teach you how to create a Cricut Print and Cut Project from SVG Files!
Also note, this tutorial will work for most SVG files…while I think you SHOULD make these adorable dolls, feel free to use other graphics, too! This is pretty similar to my Cricut Pen tutorial, so check that out, too!
What you’ll need to Create a Print and Cut Project from SVG Files:
- Cricut Maker or Cricut Explore Air
- Cricut Design Space – if you haven’t already tried the new program, go HERE and HERE to get all the details. If you are on the old program, try this tutorial.
- SVG File (doll download is below) –You can create your own file, like I did in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop or even Canva. You can use files from Cricut Access.
- Lollipop sticks (for cupcake toppers)
- Hot Glue Gun
- First, upload all three SVG files to Cricut Design Space.
- Place the body image in a new project, then ungroup it.
- Select one layer in the layers panel, then click on the circle by the scissor image. Change it to PRINT and choose a color. Tip: You can also use patterns!
- Repeat for the rest of the layers. Make sure EVERY layer is set to PRINT.
- When you are finished, select all the layers, right click and select GROUP.
- Now, add the hair and outfit images and repeat steps 3-5.
- If you don’t want to make paper dolls, skip to step 12.
- To make paper dolls, add a square shape, unlock the size of it (click on the lock button in the bottom left corner of the image), then decrease the size until it looks like a tab. Go to the layers panel and make sure the tab is set to PRINT and not cut.
- Copy and paste the tabs multiple times, and place them on the clothes and hair. Make sure the tab is long enough to help attach it to the body.
- Select all the tabs, go to ARRANGE and send them all to the back.
- Select all the images for the body and click FLATTEN, then repeat for the clothes and hair.
- If you are making cupcake toppers, place the hair and clothes over the doll. Select all the images and click FLATTEN.
- Before you cut, make sure every layer is set to PRINT and not cut.
- Repeat all the steps for other doll images you’d like to make.
- Click MAKE IT NOW, print your image, then send it to the Cricut to cut!
- Assemble cupcake toppers by gluing lollipop sticks to the back of the printables.
- For the Paper dolls, fold all the flaps down and mix and match!
I’ve been an American Girl doll fan since I was a kid. I’ve given my daughter some of my dolls from when I was little. I’m pretty impressed with my younger self…they still look new!!! I’m pretty sure the next party theme we have will be for American Girl and now I can customize all my toppers to match her friends! I think it’s perfect since they have pretty much any option you can think of.
I didn’t have time to create ALL The options, but hopefully, this will give you enough to start out!
Download the FREE SVG Files
If you liked this, check out these other posts:
Leave a Reply