Create some cute coasters and other amazing crafts when you learn to use the Weld Tool in Cricut Design Space! So many possibilities!
This is the third installment of my “All My Friends are Gems” Game Night, and it’s also a part of the 24 Week Cricut Series…because the Cricut just makes party decor so much easier! I wasn’t going to do a tutorial for these coasters at first because they weren’t a major part of the decor, but then realized that learning to use the Weld Tool in Cricut Design Space is ESSENTIAL.
A lot of people are intimidated by new software, but all you need is the right tutorial. SO, if you haven’t been following the Cricut Series, no worries…you can catch up RIGHT HERE.
What you need to make these coasters with the Weld Tool:
- Cricut Explore Air
- Glitter Card Stock
- Gem Cut Files
- Cutting Mat
- Cricut Spatula Tool
- White Card Stock
- Create a new document in Cricut Design Space, then add a Circle that measures 4X4″ (on the top tool bar, you can write in the measurements).
- Create another circle that’s a little smaller, then align them to the center of each other.
- Make sure both files are selected, then click on SLICE in the lower right-hand corner.
- Select the center circle and delete, then delete the center circle again and now you have an empty circle. Tip: If you’d like to make different styles, make sure you copy and paste this design so you don’t have to recreate it.
- Next, click on UPLOAD and add the Gem files to your library. See the tutorial for uploading SVG Files to Design Space for more detailed instructions.
- Place either one of the triad gems into the document, or three or more gems into the document.
- Resize them, rotate, etc. to get them to fit in the circle.
- Once the files are where you want them to be, select them all and click WELD. You can copy and paste these or make more. Whatever you’d like!
- Click on the MAKE IT button in the top right corner.
- Turn the dial on your Cricut to Custom and select Glitter Card Stock from the drop-down menu in Design Space.
- Place the paper on a Cutting Mat and press the LOAD button.
- When the Cutting button is flashing, press it, then let the Cricut do its job!
- After it’s cut, take it off the mat (I like using the Spatula, since it makes things SO much faster).
- Now, create a new design and add some circles to your artboard. They need to be slightly less than 4 inches.
- Copy and paste as many as you need, then cut them out on White Card Stock.
- After all the pieces are cut out, glue the gem design to the white circles. If you’d like to keep the coasters for longer than one party, feel free to laminate them!
I would, of course, LOVE it if you used my Gem SVG Files to make these fun designs, but you can use the weld tool with any SVG file. I do this often in Adobe Illustrator, but making these in Design Space was actually quicker since I had already uploaded all my gem files. I also have a file available for FREE from this set you need to check out. It made a beautiful hand lettered cake topper.
Now, aren’t these beautiful? As someone who is crazy about people using coasters (I will GLARE at you if you set a glass on my bare table…just ask my dad), I love that I can whip some up in case I don’t have enough matching ones.
I will say, though…since they’re paper, these are best with stemware and in non-humid conditions. Just keep an eye on them, and you’ll be golden.
Join the EXCLUSIVE Facebook Group, be the first to know about Cricut updates and sales, and get Cricut Tutorials Delivered to your inbox for FREE!
If you liked this post, check out these other tutorials: