This Luau Party Backdrop is not only GORGEOUS…it’s incredibly easy and won’t mess up your walls. It’s perfect for a summer time get-together!
Luau Party Backdrop Idea
I had plans to make my own paper flowers for this Luau Party Backdrop, but I usually look for the fastest way to get things done.
Don’t get me wrong…I like to go all out for some things…like this backdrop for my Tropical party…
But in this case, I didn’t want it to just be a pretty luau party. I wanted to have activities that taught Hawaiian history and culture, and I wanted a cookie decorating station to help the kids be creative.
So when you have big plans, sometimes you have to compromise…
But thankfully, I didn’t have to compromise the pretty – and I think this party backdrop turned out even better than I initially planned
The thing I like about this luau party backdrop is that it uses supplies that will work for table decor and party favors…so you know most of these luau party supplies will go to good use!
Supplies You’ll Need:
- Luau Tropical Cutouts
- Large Fringe Place Mats
- Tropical Leaves
- Palm Leaves
- Jumbo Flower Leis
- Large Embroidery Hoops
- 5″ Latex Balloons
- Popsicle Sticks
- Hot Glue Gun
- Command Strips
I’m going to tell you the ORDER I layered everything for this luau party backdrop. You will use hot glue to put all these together.The first thing you need to do is lay out everything exactly how you want it. It pays to play with this banner
How to Make a Luau Party Backdrop
- Glue the Luau Tropical Cutouts in sections. So I glued all the left ones together, then the middle, then the right, but I’m not gluing them to anything else yet.
- Glue the Large Fringe Place Mats to the front of the Luau Tropical Cutouts. Don’t be afraid to use A LOT of hot glue here.
- Glue the Tropical Leaves and Palm Leaves to each other. Again, in sections.
- Now, glue the Large Embroidery Hoops to the front of the mats and leaves.
- Keep the sections separate.
- Now, you can glue a whole Flower Leis to the hoop. If so, skip to step 9, but to make it less bulky, follow the next steps.
- Hold the lei up and cut the half of the lei, then hot glue the end so the flowers stay put.
- Cut the other end of the lei (so it’s half of the size it was) and glue that end, as well.
- Glue the Flower Leis to the Embroidery Hoops.
- Place the middle portion of the backdrop on the wall with Command Strips, then do the same with the other two portions (I used a lot of command strips).
- If needed, hot glue the hoops together and add more Tropical Leaves and Palm Leaves to the backdrop so the pieces look more cohesive.
- Blow up the Latex Balloons to varying sizes.
- Place hot glue on a Popsicle Sticks and let them cool a second, then apply spread the glue to the bottom of the balloon and attach it to the banner. Note: I cool off the glue a little bit because heat can pop the balloons…it takes a little more time, but I’ve found hot glue is the BEST adhesive for balloons.
- Once all the balloons are in place, you’re done!
My banner stayed up for over two weeks…the balloons will get a little wilty, so do that part last- maybe even right before the party so your luau party backdrop looks its best.
Love this luau party backdrop, but want more ideas?
Check out these luau party ideas!
- Hawaiian Luau Party Ideas – plus the crazy prank I pulled on my husband when we were dating!
- FREE Printable Luau Party Games – 3 Fun Printable Party Games to keep the kids entertained.
- Luau Cookie Decorating Station – no decorating skills required for this fun activity.
[…] I use a ridiculous amount of wall adhesives for my parties. I like them because they’re not permanent, so I don’t have to worry about stripping my walls for every party backdrop. […]