This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SamsClubMag #CollectiveBias
When I go on vacation, it’s ALL about that food. That’s what I remember the most. I like to try new places and visit old favorites. When I went to California to visit family, my sister-in-law had a list of all the places we were going to eat because she knows us too well. My favorite place we went to was a Korean/Mexican infusion. Since then, I’ve been trying out fun flavor combinations, mixing Asian and Mexican cuisines. I made some Asian tacos a couple months ago and my husband is heartbroken that I didn’t write down the recipe for my blog…so I made sure I didn’t make that mistake again! These Thai Coconut Curry Tacos are now in our menu rotation because everyone loved them!
I love these because not only are the flavors amazing, but you cook them with coconut oil. It gives everything a great flavor and it’s healthier!
Thai Coconut Curry Tacos
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 2 Tbs. natural peanut butter
- 1 Tbs. diced green chile
- 1/2 c. diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. yellow curry powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- shredded cabbage
- shredded carrots
- 2 c. cooked white sticky rice
- 8 white corn tortillas
- 1 Tbs. coconut oil
- Heat pan to medium heat.
- Tenderize chicken breast by placing it in a plastic bag and pounding with a meat mallet.
- Add tsp coconut oil to pan.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, than add to pan. Sear on each side, then cover pan with a lid. Cook until chicken is no longer pink (time will depend on how thick chicken is).
- While chicken is cooking, combine peanut butter, green chile, diced tomatoes, lime juice, 1 tsp coconut oil and spices in a bowl. Set aside.
- After chicken is done cooking, shred it with a fork or in a kitchen aid.
- Add chicken and sauce back to the pan, heat up and then turn heat to low to keep it warm.
- Heat up another pan to medium high and add 1/2 tsp coconut oil for each tortilla you fry.
- Add tortillas to the pan, coat in oil on one side, then flip over. Make sure non of the tortillas are overlapping so they are cooked evenly.
- Fry tortillas until they are crisp, then set aside.
- Layer tortillas with rice, meat, cabbage, carrots and pineapple and serve immediately.
I mentioned last week that I’m working hard to eat healthy and exercise…SOOOO hard to do when you blog about food. I just want to eat all my creations. The struggle is real, people. I kind of had to change my way of thinking. Yes, food that isn’t good for you is delicious…that’s about all it’s good for. I’m fine with splurging once and a while, but when I make food for my family, I want to receive health benefits from it. I made little changes, like cooking with coconut oil instead of vegetable oil, adding extra veggies to meal, not eating as many red meats and I add A LOT of spice and flavors. Healthy food can be delicious, and these Thai Coconut Curry Tacos are proof.
Now that my kids are getting bigger and eating us out of house and home, I shop in bulk A LOT. I love Sam’s Club and you can find everything you need there to make a healthy meal…like this gigantic thing of Organic Coconut Oil and their spice section is awesome. They have a magazine out called Healthy Living that gives you tips and advice for maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
My husband challenged me to come up with a different taco recipe every week and next time, I’m going to save the recipes. See? Healthy eating isn’t so bad!
How do you cook with coconut? What healthy living ideas can you share?