All my recipes have two things in common…they’re quick and easy. Make that three…they’re also delicious. That’s why I had to jump on the Mug Cake train, so today I’m telling you how to make a Quick Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Mug Cake!
Mug cakes take about 5 minutes to make…count cooling time and you have about 7 minutes to wait to eat a delicious home made treat! Since it’s almost October (and I start planning for Halloween in January), I had to create these cute Dia De Los Muertos Cake Mugs to match the holiday season!
I have two designs, both have the fun skull and the back has hand lettered designs (one says Poison and the other says Dia De Los Deliciosos).
I’ve been testing out a lot of mug cakes for my product launch and I’ve learned a lot about making the perfect mug cake. A couple things to note when making mug cakes:
- They do not taste just like a cake out of the oven. They’re more rich and not as fluffy. This recipe actually tastes a lot like pumpkin pie.
- Do not use more than half an egg. It will be like a sweet quiche…not good.
- They can be calorie heavy. If you do not want to put as much sugar or substitute oil with apple sauce, you definitely can. Just keep in mind the texture will be different.
- The mix will not turn “golden brown” like an oven baked cake would. If it’s done, it will no longer be runny.
- 60-90 seconds is usually the perfect amount of cook time.
Quick Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
- 2 Tbs. egg
- small splash of vanilla
- 3 Tbs. milk
- 2 Tbs. oil
- 1 Tbs. pumpkin puree
- 4 Tbs. flour
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- dash of ground cloves
- dash of ground ginger
- 1 Tbs. chocolate chips
- Add egg, milk, oil, pumpkin puree and vanilla to a mug and stir with a fork.
- Add flour, sugars, spices and combine until no longer lumpy (make sure you scrape the sides).
- Add chocolate chips and microwave for 60-90 seconds.
- Let cool 2 minutes and eat!
What are your favorite Fall or Halloween flavor combos? I’ll be sharing many more mug cake recipes, so give me your ideas and I’ll add them to the line up! And visit the store for your own SMC Cake Mugs and T-shirts!
Michele @ Alwayzbakin says
Oh my goodness, that sounds amazing. Chocolate AND pumpkin! LOVE your mugs too. 😉
Thank you so much Michele!! It’s so good!
This mug cake looks amazing!! Pumpkin and chocolate together in a cake – count me in! Also, I definitely start planning for Halloween in January as well ha!
Thanks Haley! Glad I’m not the only crazy one 🙂
Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl says
These look amazing! Question for you. I’d like to bring these as a gift to my doctor’s office for him and his staff. I’m wondering if I should make the mix, add the instructions to cook it but let them keep it in the fridge until they are ready to “bake”. Or will the cake hold up if I make it the night before?
Thank you so much! I haven’t tried giving it as a gift with all the ingredients mixed in. I made this as a gift idea for Liz on Call and you can see how I did it here: https://lizoncall.com/2015/09/23/halloween-mug-cake-gift-idea/
oooh! That looks amazing!
Thank you McKenzie 🙂