Cracker pudding is a staple in my family. My mom makes it for almost every family gathering and she has to make AT LEAST 4 batches. At least. Because if she doesn’t, there would be an uprising and the possibility of a murder. I’m not saying we’re crazy (okay, maybe a little)…but cracker pudding is the bomb! Traditionally, it has coconut in it…but I decided to make it fall appropriate and Pumpkin Apple Cracker Pudding was born. You can’t really get any more fall flavored than that…amIright?
So, this Pumpkin Apple Cracker Pudding is amazing and incredibly easy to make. It tastes yummy hot but it’s also delicious cold! I know…such a versatile treat.
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 c sugar
- 4 c milk
- 2 c crushed saltine crackers
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Apples
- 2 Tbs butter
- 4 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 c pumpkin puree (without spices)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Beat egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy and pale yellow, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Heat milk in a large pot over medium heat, and whisk in the egg yolk mixture until smooth; boil for 1 minute.
- Mix in the cracker crumbs; bring to boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer the mixture until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Beat the egg whites in a glass or metal mixing bowl with an electric mixer until they hold stiff peaks; gently fold into the other mixture, and mix in the vanilla extract.
- Set aside and let cool.
- In a medium non-stick pan, melt butter.
- Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg to the pan.
- Cook until apples are tender, then add pumpkin puree.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then swirl into the cracker pudding.
And can I brag a little bit about my new table? I’m in love. I love the way it looks in my kitchen nook, but the way it looks in pictures?? I’m dying! This might be the push I need to get a DSLR camera…too bad I spent all my money on a table. Oh well, it was worth it. I grew up with a round table and I just really like the way they look and I like how cozy everyone is…it’s perfect for our little (growing) family!
I need to put some artwork up too. As an artist, I am the most indecisive when it comes to my own decor. In my 8 years of marriage, I have put up 1 piece of art. It’s ridiculous and something I need to remedy because that gray wall needs some color! Anyway, back to the pudding…Yum.
Yum. Yum. Yum. That is all.
Linked up to: