So, these wood grain sugar cookies are PERFECT for a lumberjack birthday party. Which is why I made them.
These, however, are so freaking easy. To make these, you’ll need:
- Recipe for Slice and Bake Cookies
- Food Coloring (red, blue, yellow and green)
- After you mix the dough, take half of it and set it aside.
- With the other half, dye it with two drops blue, two drops yellow and two drops green food coloring. Add 8 drops of red food coloring.
- Start with a very small amount of the dark brown dough. Think gumball size. Roll it out until it’s about 1/4″ thick.
- Grab a little bit larger amount of dough, smash it, then wrap it around the smaller dough and roll it out.
- Repeat doing this until it’s about 1 1/2″ thick. It will probably be about six layers, and you want the outer layer to be the lighter layer.
- You will need to trim it as you go. Just set some of the excess dough aside.
- Take the excess dough, smash it, and then cover the outside of the cookie with the marbled brown mixture.
- Put the dough in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Slice the dough every 1/2 inch and bake it according to the recipe instructions.
You can also watch my video. I will warn you…I was sick when I made this, and I didn’t pay attention to detail. I even debated putting this video on this site…but I thought it would be easier for you to see the tutorial. Just remember, I DID THIS FOR YOU! I recorded it twice with two different batches…I was sick both times. It was not meant to be the greatest video in the world. This method does work. Both sets of cookies looked like wood grain, so there’s that.
Also…the brown dough looks like poop. I tried to minimize the amount of time it was on camera. I didn’t think that through when I came up with the idea to make a video tutorial. Sometimes bloggers have tutorial fails, okay? Don’t judge me.
Then enjoy some poop cookies, er I mean Wood Grain sugar cookies with a bottle of milk. If you’re scarred and want to make the cutesy heart cookies, I totally understand. If you are set on throwing a lumberjack party, know that they’re delicious, and they will look good after you bake them. I promise.
You know…I think the issue is that I’ve been hanging out with my two boys too long. I think that poop jokes are funny now. Here, look at some cute babies…you’ll feel better.