I’ve been on a yogurt parfait kick lately. I’m trying to eat healthier, yes…but they’re also delicious! I was really excited when I found this recipe by Bless this Mess for homemade granola and I decided to tweak it to try to curb my chocolate cravings. I made Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats AND Chocolate Caramel Dipped Pretzels last week…so going with something a little lighter for my last Chocolate recipe for the week was probably a good idea.
The chocolate in this recipe is really subtle, so feel free to add more or less chocolate and sweeteners! I thought that the dates and macadamia nuts really complimented the chocolate, but you can really add whatever you like to this mixture.
Homemade Chocolate Granola
- 3 c. oats
- 1/2 c. macadamia nuts chopped
- 1/2 c. dates chopped (I use flour covered dates so they're less sticky)
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 3 Tbs. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. wheat flour
- 2 Tbs. semi sweet chocolate chips or chunks
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil melted
- 3 Tbs. honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- Combine oats, nuts, dates, coco powder, brown sugar, flour and semi sweet chocolate in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, combine melted coconut oil, honey and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to the oat mixture and stir together until mixture is no longer dry.
- Pour onto a baking sheet covered in greased parchment paper.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
After my granola was cooled off, I sprinkled a few more chocolate chunks…because I couldn’t help myself. This is how fine I chopped the nuts and dates:
I’m convinced that parfaits are the most beautiful food ever….am I right? I usually go with a strawberry, blueberry vanilla yogurt parfait. There aren’t many combinations that are better than chocolate and fruit. I’m going to have to try it in milk tomorrow…it tastes delicious all on it’s own!