If you only make one other casserole…make it this Chicken Taco Casserole! It’s filled with corn tortillas with Country Crock Spread, cilantro lime rice, beans, chicken, bell peppers, green chile, a tasty sauce and cheese. Seriously, soooo yummy! It’s also gigantic, so you’ll have plenty for a large family or for left overs.
This casserole is very versatile, so feel free to play around with the ingredients. I think it would also be really good with ground beef and pinto beans, throw in some corn, whatever! I made this the day before I ate it…the flavors were amazing the next day! I definitely recommend topping with sour cream, tomatoes and avocados. It adds a really fresh touch to the dish.
Chicken Taco Casserole
For the Cilantro Lime Rice:
- 3 c cooked rice
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 T fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- salt to taste
For the Sauce:
- 1 Tbs Country Crock Spread
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 c diced green chile
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
For the casserole:
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 3 to 4 c sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 12 soft corn tortillas lightly covered in Country Crock Spread
- sour cream Optional
- tomatoes diced (Optional)
- avocados diced (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together rice ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat. Add 2 Tbs. Country Crock Spread and garlic. Once spread is melted, add bell peppers and cook until tender.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, green chile, spices and salt and pepper to pan. Simmer for about 10 minutes and remove from heat.
- Add a small amount of sauce to the bottom of a 9"X13" pan. Layer 6 corn tortillas, rice, beans, chicken, sauce, and cheese, then repeat for the next layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Top with sour cream, tomatoes, and avocado.
Adding the Country Crock spread to the tortillas makes them really soft…they just melt in your mouth. Country Crock Original is my favorite spread to use! I remember my mom using it for almost every dinner and I make sure I’ve always got some in the fridge. This spread has:
- 0g trans fat per serving
- Contains no partially hydrogenated oils
- Has no cholesterol
- Is 70% less fat than butter per serving
- Has 30% fewer calories than butter per serving
Linked up to:
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.