This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #EffortlessMeals #CollectiveBias
I always used to think things would slow down for me. “When my kids are in school, I’ll be able to relax!” or “After I finish this post, I can sit down!” I’ve come to the realization that when I decided to have kids AND own a business, slowing down is just not in the cards. I’m okay with that. I could barely take time off for maternity because I just can’t take it. The one thing I wish I could get a break on is making dinner (and cleaning the house…but that’s for another post!) Sometimes I want a healthy home cooked meal that requires no effort. This Italian Chicken Salad in a Jar Recipe is just perfect for those crazy days!
I know, mason jars are just all the craze these days. It’s because they’re handy and cute. My husband kept telling me that I needed to make salads in a jar and I put it off. I finally went to Walmart and bought a rotisserie chicken and other fun ingredients and made this AMAZINGLY delicious salad. So easy to put together and spending a few more minutes to make extras is SOOOO worth it! There are at least two more nights that I don’t have to worry about making dinner. Plus, I think it’s funny that the title of my salad sounds like the chicken is Italian. It’s not…but it’s still delicious.
- 1/2 c. Zesty Italian Dressing
- 3 Tbs. Yellow Mustard BBQ Sauce
- 1 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 1/2 c. Rotisserie Chicken
- 1/4 c. Roasted Red Peppers, diced
- 2 Tomatoes, diced
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 2 Carrots, shredded
- 1/3 c. Sunflower Seeds
- 1/3 c. Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 6 Basil leafs, minced
- 4-6 c. Spinach
- Prepare dressing in a small bowl by mixing all the dressing ingredients.
- Distribute dressing into 6 clean mason jars.
- Evenly distribute the rest of the ingredients in this order: Roasted Red Peppers, Chicken, Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Carrots, Sunflower Seeds, Parmesan, Basil and Spinach
- Cover the jar with a lid and refrigerate.
- *With the chicken, these can be stored up to 3 days. Without, up to a week. A great option is to leave the chicken out and add it on top.
In case you needed a little help, I made you guys a gif. Okay, I wanted to make a gif because it’s fun and I currently have no gifs on my site. I shouldn’t be able to call myself a blogger, really. But my lack of gifs shouldn’t take away from the fact that this salad is freaking amazing. My husband RAVED about it and now I will be adding salad making to my weekly Sunday ritual. When I got my chicken at Walmart, I got the Rotisserie Chicken Meal, so we not only had salad, but we had rolls, cole slaw and Coca Cola, too! Go to the Deli counter and ask them for the Rotisserie meal and they’ll bag everything up for you.
You can also leave the chicken out of the jars, get a Marketside pizza instead and serve the salad in a jar on the side! The pizza comes with a 2L Coca Cola. So many possibilities!
This meal is perfect for the craziness of Back to School time! What do you do to make meal time a little easier? I’d love to get some more tips!