Grandma will LOVE this DIY Spiral Bound Book made with the Cinch. It’s full of pictures, drawings, and facts about her grandkids, which makes it the perfect Mother’s Day gift!
I made some Printable Grandma Books a couple years ago, and everyone loved them. The kids loved creating them, too. I knew they needed an update and I can’t believe it’s taken me this long! Well, I can, because I turn things into projects. But this project was worth it. This Printable Grandkids Memory Book is available in the shop for only $3.97 and it was the perfect way to break in my The Cinch for this DIY Spiral Bound Book for Grandma!
First off, you’re going to need to get the Grandma Book, then you will edit it in Canva.com. I love working in Canva because it’s easy (my mom who does not like computers can easily do it!), it’s FREE, and it’s great for inserting photos and text…just what you need for this book. Watch the video below to see how you do that.
Next, you’ll print out and bind the book. See the video below, and follow the written instructions because I have a lot of tips for you!
What you Need to make these DIY Spiral Bound Books:
- Printable Grandkids Memory Book
- The Cinch (binding tool)
- Printer for printing at home. I use the Xerox Phaser
- Nice quality paper
- Binding Wires
- Chipboard– One board for each book
- Wire Cutters
- Scissors- some that can cut through chipboard
- Glue Stick
- Score Board
- Glitter Paper (optional for back of book)
- First, measure the Chipboard and cut it in half width-wise with scissors. Each piece should be 8.5″X5.5″
- Next, cut one of the title pages down the middle. Glue the pattern to one side, and the cover to the other side of the Chipboard. Repeat with the other piece of chipboard, and feel free to use Glitter Paper on one side.
- Leave The Cinch measuring guide in its original position. Place the Chipboard cover in all the way, so the left side of the front page is where the holes will be punched.
- Pull down on the lever of The Cinch.
- Move the measuring guide ALL THE WAY to the left. Move the NUMBER 5 alignment peg out. Place the cover all the way in again, then punch again. Please note the guide on The Cinch for other measurements. The 5 peg is only for documents that are 8.5″ long.
- Repeat steps
- Using the Score Board, score each page of the Grandkids Memory Book along the dotted line, then fold in half.
- Repeat the same steps with The Cinch to punch the left side of the book. Only do 5 pages (folded) at a time.
- Cut out any dividers you may need and write the names of each child on the tabs, then punch the holes on the left side with The Cinch (like instructions 3-5)
- Measure out the Binding Wires so it will fit the book, then cut off the excess wire with the Wire Cutters.
- Place Binding Wires on the hooks and thread the pages through.
- Press and turn the knob to the desired binding size. For this book, with three sections, I used the 5/8″ setting.
- Insert the bound side of the book into the back of The Cinch and press down on the handle. Move the book around until all the wires are cinched.
And there you have it! I loved that I didn’t have to run to the store to print off anything, and I didn’t have to glue all the pictures in the book. I just took pictures of the artwork and filled it all in with Canva.com. This turned out even cuter than I imagined and I can’t wait to make more Spiral Bound Books with Cinch!
If you liked this, check out these other posts: