My husband and I have an ongoing debate. If you could only have one meat the rest of your life, what would you choose? The debate goes a little like this: Well, if you didn’t have pork the rest of your life, you couldn’t have ribs, but if you couldn’t have beef the rest of your life, you couldn’t have brisket….So I base my debate on what tastes good with BBQ. By the way, chicken will never win that debate, unless it’s fried.
I know this is a really bad thing to post when everyone is doing their New Year Resolution, but I couldn’t resist…make this a splurge meal because it is SOOOOO worth it! The pull apart brisket and buttery grits are the PERFECT combo and a nice break away from meat and potatoes. I served this with bacon fried green beans too…what? it’s a vegetable!!!
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. beef brisket
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 c. ketchup
- 1/4 c. molasses
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 3 c. water
- 1 c. grits
- 4 Tbs. butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large pan to medium heat and add 1 Tbs. canola oil.
- Add brisket to pan and brown on all sides, then add to crock pot.
- Heat a medium sauce pan to medium heat and add 1 Tbs. canola oil.
- Add garlic and brown for a little bit (maybe 30 seconds...be careful, it burns fast!)
- Pour in other ingredients and stir until it's blended.
- Pour sauce over brisket and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 6 hours (make sure you check it around 4 hours...if it's falling apart, it's done).
- Bring water to boil in a medium sauce pan.
- Add grits to pan, stir and turn the heat down to low.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Let it set for another minute, then add butter, salt and pepper.
- Serve brisket over grits.
So what meat would you choose and why?
Linked up to: