I have probably mentioned before, but my mom is an amazing cook (in fact, she has her own company in her small town and business is booming…but more on that later!) I always looked forward to Thanksgiving because it really was a feast. She cooks for days and we eat for days. It’s the best! One of the things I look forward to all year is her cranberry sauce and cranberry jello. I pretty much have a little turkey with my cranberry sauce because I love it so much! This Cranberry Apple Raspberry Jello is a new spin on one of her recipes and it’s the perfect side for Thanksgiving!
It’s a little extra work than regular cranberry sauce, but worth it! Especially if you’re planning a small dinner like my Easy Turkey Foil Dinners. Homemade cranberry sauce is actually extremely easy to make and I don’t know why I don’t make it more often (maybe because my husband and kids don’t like cranberries and I end up eating the whole bowl…but that should really be more of a reason to make it).
- 1 12 oz. package fresh cranberries
- 1 c. fresh raspberries
- 1 1/4 c. water
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 pkg. raspberry jello
- 1 pkg. cranberry jello
- 2 c. boiling water
- 3 c. ice
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 c. choped pecans
- Bring water and sugar to boil. Cook until sugar is dissolved.
- Add raspberries and cranberries.
- Bring water to boil again, the turn down to medium heat.
- Cook raspberries and cranberries until most of the cranberries "pop."
- Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- Boil water, then add to jello mixtures in a medium bowl.
- Whisk for about 2 minutes, until jello is completely dissolved.
- Add ice cubes and stir until ice is melted.
- Add the jello to the sauce, then add apples and pecans.
- Place in the refrigerator for a few hours. Stir every so often so the ingredients don't sink to the bottom.
The amazing thing about this recipe is that is can also double as a dessert. It doesn’t weigh you down, but it’s still sweet and delicious! It can also count as a salad…because fruit…okay, I’m stretching a little there.
This makes a gigantic bowl…so plan on serving a lot of people! Or if you’re like me and 7 months pregnant, eat it all in 3 days…because that’s totally acceptable.